118 N. Columbia
Connell, WA 99326
305 West Adam St.
Connell, WA 99326
PO Box 160
Connell, WA 99326
Connell Heritage is a project of Washington Rural Heritage, a collection of historically significant materials residing in libraries, heritage institutions, and private collections throughout Washington State. The collection includes photographs and documents which tell the history of Connell and surround communities of Franklin County, Washington.
Some items from the Connell Heritage Collection are under protection of copyright. You must contact Mid-Columbia Libraries, the Franklin County Graphic, and/or the Connell Heritage Museum for permission to use the items in this collection.
By the use of these digital images, texts, audio, and video recordings, users agree to the following:
View the Washington Rural Heritage copyright statement for additional information.
As early as 1945, citizens of Connell, Washington were able to check out books at the Connell City Hall. Twenty years later, a committee was formed to research the possibility of forming a library. Much correspondence between committee members and the Washington State Library ensued. A petition was signed by residents who favore the formation of a library in the community. Committee member Betty Mittelstaed wrote in a letter to the editor: "Let us assure our children the opportunity, and take advantage of it ourselves, of becoming better informed citizens, by furnishing the materials and incentives to read." In June of 1965, by a vote of 155 to 60, the residents of Connell voted to contract with Mid-Columbia Library Association for library services. On Tuesday, November 23rd, 1965, the Connell Branch opened in the Welch building on Columbia Avenue where it operated for 28 years. In 1993, with an inmate crew from Coyote Ridge Corrections, the City remodeled the old City and Fire Hall into a new library building. The new building opened in December of 1993 where it is currently located. A mural depicting characters from the book Where the Wild Things Are graces the library courtyard.
The Connell Branch of Mid-Columbia Libraries serves over 5,800 city and county residents. In 2011, almost 38,000 items were checked out and the branch had over 32,000 visitors. As part of Mid-Columbia Libraries, our mission is to enrich our communities by empowering individuals with materials and services for life-long learning and growth, starting at birth. For more information about the Connell Library or other Mid-Columbia Libraries, visit www.midcolumbialibraries.org.
The Museum’s mission is to invest, collect, preserve, and share the history and culture of Connell and the surrounding area. Located in a beautifully restored 1905 Gothic Revival Church, the museum is surrounded by the historical Old Town Park. The Connell Heritage Museum collection includes a display of a wide variety of historical artifacts, pictures, costumes, tools, furniture, oral history DVDs, local history books, maps, pamphlets, obituaries, and school pictures. Also included in the collection is an extensive local newspaper collection covering 1905 ot the present day. The museum is currently planning the CHM Annex to make room for additional historical artifacts. Fundraising and special events are held throughout the year. Open hours are Saturdays from 1:00 to 4:00 pm, May through September. Appointments are welcome at other times. The Connell Heritage Museum is located at 305 W. Adams Street in Connell, Washington.
The Franklin County Graphic got its start on June 3, 1954, following in the footsteps of the Connell Statesman, Connell Globe, and Connell News. Dave and "Bea" Beatrix Adams were the first editors-in-chief of "The Graphic", as it has come to be known.
Adams stated in its first edition: "Hello, Neighbors. I hope that we become just that. The Graphic is born today of faith and bound with a tattered shoestring. The faith is in God, the good people of Connell and all Franklin County, and the future of the Columbia Basin. The Graphic hopes to become an accepted institution of the community and grow with it..." As Adams hoped within that first edition, the Graphic has become an accepted institution in our community, one that plays a vital role, linking our past, present, and future. The Graphic, currently owned and operated by Kathy Valdez, continues to connect the community with each Thursday’s edition, reaching a readership of over 3,000. "We don’t just write the news, we record history," stated Lead Reporter Katherine Bingham.
Adams’ effort, along with the future editors of the Graphic has spawned a collection of photographic negatives which showcase our community’s happenings, people, floods, and events. A portion of these negatives has become part of the Connell Heritage Project for all to enjoy.
To find out more, share a news story, place an advertisement, or two subscribe, email: email@example.com.