802 Ball Street
Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
725 Murdock Street
P.O. Box 367
Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
The Sedro-Woolley Heritage Collection is a collaborative project of the Sedro-Woolley Public Library and the Sedro-Woolley Museum. Since 2009, the two organizations have partnered to digitize unique historic materials documenting the growth and development of Sedro-Woolley and neighboring communities along the lower Skagit River. Highlights of the digital collection include:
Material in the collection is primarily held by the Sedro-Woolley Museum. However, some of the material has been contributed from the private collections of community members. If you have comments or additional information about any of the items in this collection, or would like to contribute your own material for digitization, please contact the Sedro-Woolley Public Library.
Some items from Sedro-Woolley Heritage are under protection of copyright. You must contact the holding institution for permission to use the items in this collection.
By the use of these digital images, texts, audio, and video recordings, users agree to the following:
View the Washington Rural Heritage copyright statement for additional information.
Sedro-Woolley Heritage is a project of Washington Rural Heritage, a collection of historically significant materials residing in libraries, heritage institutions, and private collections throughout Washington State. The collection includes photographs, documents, and artifacts which tell the stories of Washington's small and rural communities.
The Sedro-Woolley Public Library was officially founded in the early 1900s. Prior to this, residents had established an informal lending library at a local drug store, where the druggist allowed them to trade books. In the early 1900s the first library was in a one room building on 3rd Street, and Mrs. James Grey and Mrs. C.E. Bingham were the library staff. In a few years' time, the need for a larger library was evident and an application was made in 1913 to the Carnegie Foundation for funds. In 1914 the city council passed an ordinance creating a department of government to be known as the Sedro-Woolley Library Association with the management and control vested in a Board of Trustees.
With donated land, a handsome Carnegie Library was built at Third and Nelson Street and dedication was held in October 1915. Miss Minna Dorsey was librarian and continued in this position until 1923. Mrs. Marie LaPlant a teacher in Sedro-Woolley was the new librarian and she well served the library for the next 21 years. The Carnegie Building was demolished in 1962 when the School District acquired the land. A new building was opened on Ball Street on Oct 1, 1962, with great assistance from High school students, Girl Scouts, and Campfire Girls who helped to move the library materials to the new location.
In 1989 under the leadership of board chair Pat Hayden the library was given a state grant and with matching city funds it was expanded to the present size building.
The Sedro-Woolley Museum Committee was formed in December of 1991. In 1992, its articles of incorporation were finalized and the Museum became an official non-profit organization. The City of Sedro-Woolley granted the organization a 25 year lease on the "Murdock Mall" building (originally Emil Jeck's Ford Garage, built in the 1920s). Following major renovation of the building, the Museum opened its doors for its first public event in December, 1992, with regular hours beginning in March, 1993. All the artifacts in the Museum have been donated by past and present reisdents of the area. Museum displays are created by the volunteer Board and members of the community.